Dr. John Andraos is the founder of CareerChem (est. 2000) and is green chemistry author for Taylor & Francis LLC. He earned a PhD from the University of Toronto in physical organic chemistry. He established the first university level green chemistry course in Canada in 2002 at York University where he taught for 12 years. He has published 60 scientific articles in peer-reviewed journals and contributed 9 book chapters on the subject of green chemistry metrics and education. He is co-editor of the series Green Syntheses (2014) and the author of the book Algebra of Organic Synthesis (2012).
- J. Andraos*, A New Paradigm for Designing Ring Construction Strategies for Green Organic Synthesis: Implications for the Discovery of Multi-Component Reactions to Build Molecules Containing a Single Ring, Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2016, 12, 2420-2442.
- J. Andraos*, Using Balancing Chemical Equations as a Key Starting Point to Create Green Chemistry Exercises Based on Inorganic Syntheses Examples, J. Chem. Educ. 2016, 93, 1330- 1334.
- J. Andraos*; Mastronardi, M.L.; Hoch, L.B.; Hent, A. Critical Evaluation of Published Algorithms for Determining Environmental and Hazard Impact Green Metrics of Chemical Reactions and Synthesis Plans, ACS Sust. Chem. Eng., 2016, 4, 1934-1945.
- J. Andraos*, Critical Evaluation of Published Algorithms for Determining Material Efficiency Green Metrics of Chemical Reactions and Synthesis Plans, ACS Sust. Chem. Eng., 2016, 4, 1917-1933.
- J. Andraos*, A Complete Green Metrics Evaluation of Various Routes to Methyl Methacrylate According to Material and Energy Consumptions, and Environmental and Safety Impacts: A Test Case from the Chemical Industry, ACS Sust. Chem. Eng., 2016, 4, 312-323.
- J. Andraos*; A. Hent, “Simplified application of material efficiency green metrics to synthesis plans: pedagogical case studies selected from Organic Syntheses”, J. Chem. Educ. 2015, 92, 1820-1830.
- J. Andraos*; A. Hent, “Useful material efficiency green metrics problem set exercises for lecture and laboratory”, J. Chem. Educ. 2015, 92, 1831-1839.
- J. Andraos*; E. Ballerini; L. Vaccaro*, “A Comparative Approach to the Most Sustainable Protocol for the b-Azidation of a,b-Unsaturated Ketones and Acids”, Green Chem. 2015, 17, 913-925.
- J. Andraos*, On the Probability that Ring-forming Multicomponent Reactions are Intrinsically Green: Setting Thresholds for Intrinsic Greenness Based on Design Strategy and Experimental Reaction Performance, ACS Sust. Chem. Eng. 2013, 1, 496-512.
- J. Andraos*, Safety-Hazard Indices: Completion of a Unified Suite of Metrics for the Assessment of “Greenness” for Chemical Reactions and Synthesis Plans, Org. Process Res. Develop. 2013, 17, 175-192.
- J. Andraos*, Inclusion of Environmental Impact Parameters in Radial Pentagon Material Efficiency Metrics Analysis: Using Benign Indices as a Step Towards a Complete Assessment of “Greenness” for Chemical Reactions and Synthesis Plans, Org. Process Res. Develop. 2012, 16, 1482-1506.
- J. Andraos*; A.P. Dicks*, Green Chemistry Teaching in Higher Education: A Review of Effective Practices, Chem. Educ. Res. Pract., 2012, 13, 69-79.
- J. Andraos*, A Green Metrics Assessment of Phosgene and Phosgene-free Syntheses of Industrially Important Commodity Chemicals, Pure Applied Chem. 2012, 84, 827-860.
- S.M. Mercer; J. Andraos, P.G. Jessop*, Choosing the Greenest Synthesis: a multivariate metric green chemistry exercise, J. Chem. Educ. 2012, 89, 215-220.
- L. Werner; A. Machara; B. Sullivan; I. Carrera; M. Moser; T. Hudlicky*, J. Andraos*, Several Generations of Chemoenzymatic Synthesis of Oseltamivir (Tamiflu): Evolution of Strategy, Quest for a Process-Quality Synthesis, and Evaluation of Efficiency, J. Org. Chem., 2011, 76, 10050-10067.
- J. Andraos*, A Database Tool for Process Chemists and Chemical Engineers to Gauge the Material and Synthetic Efficiencies of Synthesis Plans to Industrially Important Targets, Pure Applied Chem. 2011, 83, 1361-1378.
- J. Andraos*, Global Green Chemistry Metrics Analysis Algorithm and Spreadsheets: Evaluation of the Material Efficiency Performances of Synthesis Plans for Oseltamivir Phosphate (Tamiflu) as a Test Case, Org. Process Res. Develop. 2009, 13, 161 – 185.
- J. Andraos*, Kinetic Plasticity and the Determination of Product Ratios for Kinetic Schemes Leading to Multiple Products Without Rate Laws: new methods based on directed graphs, Can. J. Chem., 2008, 86, 342-357.
- J. Andraos*, The Contributions of Solomon F. Acree (1875 - 1957) and the Centennial Anniversary of the Discovery of the Acree-Curtin-Hammett Principle", The Chemical Educator 2008, 13, 170-178.
- J. Andraos*, Gauging Material Efficiency, Canadian Chemical News 2007, 59(4), 14 - 17.
- J. Andraos* and M. Sayed, On the Use of Green Metrics in the Undergraduate Organic Chemistry Lecture and Practicum to Assess the Material Efficiencies of Organic Reactions, J. Chem. Educ. 2007, 84, 1004 - 1011.
- J. Andraos* and J. Izhakova, Perspectives on the Application of Green Chemistry Principles to Total Synthesis Design, Chimica Oggi/The International Journal of Industrial Chemistry and Biotechnology, November/December 2006, 24(6, Supp.), 31 - 36
- J. Andraos*, On Using Tree Analysis to Quantify the Material, Input Energy, and Cost Efficiencies of Simple and Complex Synthesis Plans and Networks: toward a blueprint for quantitative total synthesis and green chemistry, Org. Process Research & Development 2006, 10, 212 - 240.
- J. Andraos*, Reaction Intermediates in Organic Chemistry: The “Big Picture”, Can. J. Chem. 2005, 83, 1415 – 1431
- J. Andraos*, Scientific Genealogies of Physical Organic and Mechanistic Chemists, Can. J. Chem. 2005, 83, 1400 – 1414
- J. Andraos*, Unification of Reaction Metrics for Green Chemistry II: Evaluation of Named Organic Reactions and Application to Reaction Discovery, Org. Process Research & Development. 2005, 9, 404 – 431
- J. Andraos*, Unification of Reaction Metrics for Green Chemistry: Applications to Reaction Analysis, Org. Process Research & Development 2005, 9, 149 – 163
- J. Andraos*, The Quantification and Optimization of Dynamic Kinetic Resolution, J. Phys. Chem. A 2003, 107, 2374 – 2387
- J. Andraos*, Bimolecular Kinetics at Low Temperatures Using FT-IR Matrix Isolation Spectroscopy: Some Caveats. Thermokinetic Parameters for the Reaction of Fulvenones with Pyridine in Pyridine Matrices, J. Phys. Chem. A. 2000, 104, 1532 – 1543
- J. Andraos*, E. Lathioor, and W. Leigh, Simultaneous pH-Rate Profiles Applied to the Two Step Consecutive Sequence A B C: A Theoretical Analysis and Experimental Investigation, J. Chem. Soc. Perkin 2 Trans., 2000, 365 – 374
- J. Andraos*, A Streamlined Approach to Solving Simple and Complex Kinetic Systems Analytically, J. Chem. Educ. 1999, 76, 1578 – 1583
- J. Andraos*, The Problem of Distinguishability of Rate Constants in the Two Step Consecutive Sequence A B C, Can. J. Chem. 1999, 77, 565 – 576
- J. Andraos*, How Mathematics Figures in Chemistry: Some Examples, J. Chem. Educ. 1999, 76, 258 – 267
- J. Andraos*, On the Propagation of Statistical Errors for a Function of Several Variables, J. Chem. Educ. 1996, 73, 150 – 154
- Musolino, M.; Andraos, J.; Aricò, F.*, An Easy Scalable Approach to HMF Employing DMC as Reaction Media: Reaction Optimization and Comparative Environmental Assessment, ChemSelect 2018, 3, 2359-2365.
- J. Andraos*, Useful Tools for the Next Quarter Century of Green Chemistry Practice – A Dictionary of Terms and a Dataset of Parameters for High Value Industrial Commodity Chemicals, ACS Sust. Chem. Eng. 2018, 6, 3206-3214.